Friday, August 31, 2012

Homework: Piece of cake (for now)

Today I tackled my first homework assignment on probability. It surprisingly was really easy! It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. Most of it was basic probability. For example, one problem stated, "A marble is selected at random from a jar containing 3 red marbles, 6 yellow marbles, and 4 green marbles. What is the probability that the marble is either red or green?" So to solve this you take the probability of getting a red marble (3/13) and add it to the probability of getting a green marble (4/13). The answer is 7/13! Most of the homework was as easy as this one. There were some harder problems, but I figured them out. The tricky part was learning how to decide if you add or multiply probabilities. When the question is asking for an "or" you should add and when it asks for an "and" you should multiply. Sometime you have to do both, but that is in the next homework section/chapter! More fun ahead!

I was searching the internet for ways to teach probability to my students and I came across this website full of worksheets I could give to my students to practice. It has answer sheets to all of the worksheets and it has different scenarios using probability, including using marbles and spinners! Click HERE to view!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Amber! Your blog is so cute!! I love it. I also agree with all that you said about the homework! It was tricky to try and figure out whether or not to add or multiple. I also really liked the link that you gave for all of the worksheets! I would definitely like to use those in my future classroom!
    -Michaelah Mazek

    ReplyDelete